How to Make Pickled Jalapeno Peppers
|DISCLAIMER: AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES. THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS THAT WILL REWARD ME MONETARILY OR OTHERWISE WHEN YOU USE THEM TO MAKE QUALIFYING PURCHASES. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE READ MY EARNINGS DISCLAIMER.
Pickled Jalapeno Peppers
Pickling jalapeno peppers is a great way to preserve jalapenos that you have left over from other dishes.
Pickled jalapenos are great on ham burgers, hot dogs, nachos and pizza or wonderful when added to a Bloody Mary.
Pickled Jalapeno Pepper Ingredients
- Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 Part Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Part Water
- About 1 teaspoon of salt per cup of liquid
Pickled Jalapeno Pepper Instructions
1. Remove the stem from the jalapeno peppers.
2. Slice the jalapenos to make rings about 1/4 inch thick.
3. Add the jalapenos to a pot and add enough liquid to cover the peppers.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and then place in glass jars or an airtight container. The pickled jalapenos will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
Fancy Jalapeno Pickles
We’ve already discussed making a basic pickled jalapeno and now we will talk about a fancier method of pickling jalapenos. This method results in a deeper background flavor and the pickles are even better by themselves than the other ones are.
Preserving jalapenos as pickles has the dual benefits of allowing you to store them on hand for a very long time but also to add great flavor to the jalapeno in the form of a pickle.
These jalapeno pickles are great in dishes that more flavor is needed in such as short ribs or stews. The pickles are also fantastic when diced and used in salsas or as a spicy topping for steak, chicken or pork.
Lastly, if you have the heat-tolerance you can also eat the jalapeno pickles straight out of the jar!
Fancy Jalapeno Pickle Ingredients
- 1 pound Jalapeno Peppers
- 2-3 cups water
- 2-3 cups vinegar*
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 springs tarragon
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
Jalapeno Pickled Pepper Recipe
1. Add all the ingredients to a pot, except for the jalapenos, and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Place the jalapenos, whole, into a glass jar or other sealable container.
3. Pour the pickling liquid into the jar, covering the jalapenos completely.
4. The jalapeno pickles will keep in the refrigerator for several months.
* Note: the type of vinegar you use to make the jalapeno pickled will subtly affect the taste of the finished pickle. I prefer apple cider vinegar but sherry vinegar, red wine vinegar, and white wine vinegar will all add great flavor to your jalapeno pickles. And if all you have is white vinegar then feel free to use it as well, the jalapeno pickles have more than enough flavor to stand on their own!