Serrano Pepper Recipes
|DISCLAIMER: AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES. THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS THAT WILL REWARD ME MONETARILY OR OTHERWISE WHEN YOU USE THEM TO MAKE QUALIFYING PURCHASES. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE READ MY EARNINGS DISCLAIMER.
Serrano peppers are used in many other dishes to add both heat and flavor. We covered serrano salsa recipes and serrano hot sauce recipes elsewhere. Here are some of our other favorite dishes that use serrano peppers effectively.
Serrano Pepper and Tomatillo Sauce Recipe
Tomatillos are a staple in southwestern cooking and this recipe combines their tangy flavor with the heat of the serrano peppers to produce a thick, tangy sauce.
This serrano pepper and tomatillo sauce is strongly flavored like both the serrano peppers and the tomatillos. It is excellent on grilled chicken, steak, or shrimp and can also be used as a salsa or dipping sauce. We’ve even used it effectively as a garnish on tacos or enchiladas.
Serrano Pepper and Tomatillo Sauce Ingredients
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2-4 serrano peppers, diced
10-15 tomatillos, de-husked and coarsely chopped
1 cup homemade chicken stock or water
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 cup water
Serrano Pepper and Tomatillo Sauce Steps
1) Heat a pot over medium-high heat.
2) Add the oil, onion, and serrano peppers and saute them until the soften and begin to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
3) Add the tomatillos and cook for about 5 minutes.
4) Add the 1 cup of homemade chicken stock or water and bring to a simmer.
5) Let the tomatillo sauce simmer on the stove until the tomatillos are tender and almost much. A lot of the water should have evaporated by this point as well. Around 15 to 30 minutes.
6) In a small bowl mix the 2 tablespoons of corn starch and remaining 1 cup of water together to create a “slurry”. Add the slurry, 2 tablespoons at a time, to the tomatillo sauce until it becomes the thickness you’d like.
You can now serve the serrano tomatillo sauce with your main course or refrigerate it for up to 4 days.